In the immediate aftermath of WWII, the Bremen network was split in two, as the bridges over the river Weser had been destroyed.
In 1947, the two parts of the network were reconnected, and apart from the tram line over the Stephanibrücke, the 1950s BSAG network re-attained its pre-war extent. The new Flughafendamm workshop near Bremen Airport was constructed in 1959; in 1963 the head offices also moved to that site.
On March 28, 1876 the Aktiengesellschaft Bremer Pferdebahn was founded.
today's line 2 partly follows the trajectory of that horse line.
Its task is to replace older GT4 Wegmann vehicles and to provide increased comfort for BSAG passengers.